Paula Gooder works as the Director for Mission Learning and Development in the Birmingham Diocese (Church of England). Before that she worked for twelve years in ministerial formation first at Ripon College Cuddesdon, Oxford and then at the Queen’s Foundation for Ecumenical Theological Education in Birmingham. Following this she spent around eight years as a speaker and writer in biblical studies travelling the country and seeking to communicate the best of biblical scholarship in as accessible a way as possible.
Her engagement in wider church life lead her to be a member of the General Synod of the Church of England (2005-2015) and as a part of that to be a member of the Women in Episcopacy drafting group and steering committee (2006-2014). She is passionate about ecumenism and is a current member of the Anglican Roman Catholic International Commission (ARCIC III, 2011-present day).
She has a strong vocation to lay ministry and is a Reader in the Church of England.
A brief outline of employment and qualifications
- Director Mission Learning and Development, Birmingham Diocese (2017- Present day)
- Theologian in Residence, Bible Society, first part time (2013 -2016); then full-time (2016-2017)
- Freelance writer and lecturer in Biblical studies (2007-2016)
- Tutor in New Testament studies, the Queen’s Foundation for Ecumenical Theological Education, Birmingham (2001-2007)
- Tutor in Biblical Studies, Ripon College Cuddesdon, Oxford (1995-2001)
- D. Phil “Only the Third Heaven? 2 Corinthians 12:1-10 and the Heavenly Ascent Tradition”, The Queen’s College, Oxford (1992-1998)
- B.A. Honours Degree in Theology, 1st Class, Worcester College, University of Oxford (1988-1992).
- Canon Theologian, Birmingham Cathedral
- Six Preacher, Canterbury Cathedral
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, St Andrew’s University
- Visiting Lecturer, Kings College, London
- Associate tutor, Trinity College, Bristol
- Associate tutor, St Mellitus College, London
Other Current commitments
- Member, ARCIC III